Not my usual sort of post but I felt the need to share my positive attitude! I am in no means a professional sports person or fitness guru. In fact, I probably wouldn’t go to the gym if my boyfriend didn’t go or if the gym wasn’t across the road from our apartment for that matter! Don’t get me wrong, I really enjoy exercise once I’m actually doing it. I just don’t have that natural get up and go mentality. The fact that I went for a run twice this week has made me a little bit proud of myself but my running app also reminded me that I last ran over 3 months ago!! Gulp! I suppose it doesn’t help when the weather turns colder! Here are some tips that helped me get started this week. Hope some of these give you a kick start too. Long may the motivation continue!
7 WAYS TO MOTIVATE YOURSELF TO RUN
(If you’re like me and need that extra kick up the bum when it comes to exercise!) As mentioned above..
I AM NOT A PROFESSIONAL SPORTS PERSON OR DOCTOR. THIS IS NOT PROFESSIONAL ADVICE.
1. Choose an interesting route! Make it different each time and beautiful if possible! I love to nosy at the different neighbourhoods around the area I live in. No two houses are the same and they all seem to have gorgeous gardens! If you’re not as keen as me when it comes to houses there’s no harm in driving further afield to a nice park or woodland area.
2. Run before a meal. You’ll be looking forward to whatever you have planned to eat and also feel you deserve it 10 times more after burning off them calories!
3. Music. Make sure you find an energetic feel good mix to download. That ambient sunset mix from the summer is far too chilled..
4. Wear clothes you feel confident (and comfortable) in. I have just purchased some running shorts that have cycling shorts inside.. Wow! Where have these been all my life?! I’ve never worn any type of sports shorts public before! These are a game changer for me.
5. Running apps. I used to think that these were for serious runners only. There are all sorts out there for different abilities. I started off with one that slowly trains you to eventually run 5K without stopping. I even got a certificate when I completed it! It’s the little things… but it did give me a sense of achievement! Here’s the link https://itunes.apple.com/gb/app/couch-to-5k-runner-0-5k-run/id439852091?mt=8
6. Hydrate. If you forget your water you’ll only use it as an excuse to come home early 😉
7. Be realistic! Don’t set yourself up to fail. There’s no point saying you’ll go for a run every day when you know it’s not going to happen. I’m the worst at keeping up any sort of routine. I promised myself 2 runs this week… and I’ll probably stick to that for a while. Better than nothing though! 🙂